Admissions & Aid

All applicants to Olivet University should evidence strong a Christian character, potential for effectiveness in Christian ministry, and the scholastic ability and emotional maturity to handle a higher education experience.

Undergraduate International Students

General Policy

International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications at least six months prior to the term in which they intend to enroll. Prospective students who plan to begin a bachelor's degree program must submit all application materials (including transcripts, declaration of financial support, etc.) at least 90 days before the planned date of arrival in order to allow time for the student to receive the visa application papers. Under extenuating circumstances, an extension may be granted. Please contact the Admissions Office for further details.

Appropriate visa application forms will be sent to the student upon receipt of an acceptable declaration of financial support to ensure that sufficient funds are available for initial housing and registration expenses upon the student's arrival in the United States.

International students on F visas are required to maintain valid immigration status throughout their stay at Olivet in order to remain in good standing with the university.

International Application Requirements

Olivet University welcomes inquiries from international students who wish to pursue a degree program at Olivet University. In addition to the normal admission requirements, an international student must comply with the following:

  • 1. An applicant's admission material must be received 90 days prior to the term in which they intend to enroll.
  • 2. An international student for any bachelor program must have completed a high school education from eithera U.S. high school or the equivalent education from a foreign school.
  • 3. All foreign language documents must be accompanied by an official translation into English.

English Language Proficiency Requirements for Undergraduate Programs and Courses

All instructions at Olivet University's English programs are All instructions at Olivet University's English programs are offered in English. The majority of instructions at Olivet University's programs listed as offered "partially in (language)" are offered in English. Prospective students whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an appropriately accredited institution where English is the principal language of instruction must demonstrate college-level proficiency in English through one of the following for admission:

  • 1. A minimum score of 500 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), or 61 on the Internet-based Test (iBT), or 173 on the computer-based test (CBT), a 6.0 on the International English Language Test (IELTS), or 44 on the Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report, or 95 on the Duolingo English Test.  A high school diploma completed at an accredited/recognized high school (where the medium of instruction is English).
  • 2. A minimum grade of Level 3 on the ACT COMPASS English as a Second Language Placement Test;
  • 3. A minimum grade of Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam;
  • 4. A minimum B-2 English proficiency level identified within the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) standards and assessed through various ESOL examinations, including the University of Cambridge;
  • 5. A transcript indicating completion of at least 30 semester credit hours (45 quarter credit hours) with an average grade of “C” or higher at an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Secretary of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or accepted foreign equivalent that is listed in the International Handbook of Universities where the language of instruction was English.
  • Any program-specific English language requirements exceeding these noted here are listed in the degree program description, if applicable.

Conditions for Issuing Form I-20

Olivet University is authorized to issue the Form I-20 documentation, allowing students to achieve the F-1 student visa status. Please be aware that the US immigration law is constantly changing. Students must confirm the accuracy of the following information with the Office of Admissions. Students must have the Form I- 20 from Olivet before going to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy to apply for visa.

Following conditions must be met before the Form I-20 can be issued to an applicant:

  • 1. Acceptance of admission to Olivet University
  • 2. The applicant must present evidence that he/she has funds to meet all expenses for the entire period of study, including round-trip transportation, living costs, health insurance, fees, tuition and books.
  • 3. A deposit is generally required of applicants currently residing outside of the U.S. The amount of the deposit varies depending on Olivet University's assessment of the applicant's ability to meet the financial obligations of a student.

Declaration of Financial Support

International students who do not have permanent resident status in the United States will be considered for admission to Olivet University only if they can meet the requirements of a declaration of financial support for themselves and all dependents (spouse and children) who are accompanying them to the United States. If the dependents are remaining in their home country, the university strongly recommends that appropriate financial arrangements be made to care for the dependents during the entire time the student is away (in addition to the arrangements made for the student's expenses in the United States).

The declaration of financial support may come from one or a combination of the following sources that will actually provide the necessary funds for study and living expenses. This information must be documented in a bank or financial statement reflecting the equivalent in American dollars, the date the account was opened, the average balance and the current balance.

  • Church/Denomination or Organization letter stating specific monthly support intentions and their bank statement
  • Personal Bank statement with US exchange rate
  • Family Bank statement with supporting letter of that family member stating specific monthly support intentions

Instructions for completing the declaration of financial support

  • The declaration of financial support must be fully and properly completed. It must be typed or clearly printed in ink.
  • Support from individuals: If you have more than one sponsor, please make copies of the declaration of financial support and have it signed by each of the different sponsors. Note that the declaration of financial support must be signed by the sponsor (s) and by the student, as witness.
  • Church, organizations and/or government sponsors: The director(s) of the organization should fill out the declaration of financial support and enclose a signed letter from the organization, and bank statement, guaranteeing their support to you.
  • Supporting evidence of financial resources must be attached to the declaration of financial support. It may consist of one or a combination of the following:
    • Your personal Bank Statement, with the U.S. exchange rate, if you are going to sponsor yourself during your studies. It has to show sufficient resources to complete your degree program
    • An original letter from a bank or other financial institution in which the sponsor has savings deposits, certificates of deposit, money market certificates, or other types of accounts. Note that the letter must be in official stationery and states: (1) date when the accounts were opened and (2) the availability of the individual's or the organization's funds.

F-1 Student Visa Status

  • Financial support may come from personal, private, and organizational sources
  • The student must register full-time while in the United States
  • Spouses have no employment options
  • Student employment is limited to 20 hours maximum while school is in session
  • Family bank statement with supporting letter of that family member stating specific monthly support intentions is required
  • Health insurance for student and family required continuously while in the United States

Permanent Resident Alien Status

Applicants who are not citizens of the United States, but do have official permanent resident status, must submit supplemental application materials as follows:

  • A photocopy of official, current Permanent Resident Alien (PRA) card. Olivet University admissions personnel must photocopy this card.
  • Official English translations of all documents. If issued in a language other than English, transcripts must be accompanied by a literal and officially certified English translation.
  • Olivet University reserves the right to notify students attempting to transfer credits received in secondary degrees or courses completed at universities outside the United States that they must have their non- U.S. academic transcripts evaluated by an academic transcript evaluating agency using a course-by- course report. Olivet prefers that transcripts be evaluated by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) to determine their level and authenticity. Once international applicants have submitted their official transcript(s), they will be notified whether an AACRAO evaluation will be required. (Credentials evaluation reports are the financial responsibility of the applicant.)

NOTE: Concerning current Permanent Resident Aliens

  • Health insurance for student and family required continuously while in the United States
  • No declaration of financial support is required
"one, "two, "three, "four,